Monday, November 8, 2010

Cool, clear water

No juice or soda for me. I choose water hands down. Not those completely disgusting flavored waters you can find by the dozens at stores nationwide, but pure, unadulterated water. This probably seems a very simple and rather obvious thing to put on my list, but I am truly grateful for water every day. My grandparents served an LDS mission in Accra, Ghana several years ago and shared stories of young children walking miles every day to fill large, heavy jugs with (often dirty)water for their families. They then had to walk miles back to their villages only to repeat the task the next day and the next. Higher illness and death rates in many of these areas and others throughout the world are often directly related to the polluted water the people are forced to use as they currently have no other alternatives. The LDS church and other humanitarian organizations are actively involved in many areas of the world making potable water more accessible to the general public - especially to those in remote areas.
Knowing this, how can I take for granted the fact that I can lift a lever in my home and have clean water at my fingertips any time of the day or night? One of the first things I do every morning is take a cool, tall drink of water poured from my most excellent Brita pitcher. I do the same every night right before bed. And I enjoy many more drinks throughout the day. Nothing tastes better. And so, I am grateful for cool, clear water.

5 comments:

Jill said...

Water, is hands down, my favorite beverage. I prefer it to all others. And yes, I take it for granted. I like this post.

David said...

I also love a hot shower! Sometimes when I think of my pioneer ancesters who did not have this luxury I feel quite lavish and think they would think I am spoiled. At that point I have to confide that I appreciate my indoor privy Ü.

Marsha said...

Clean, accessible water is something I think about all the time. I'm not always good about conserving it, but I do try to be conscious of my usage.

After living in Namibia, I feel fortunate to have it at my fingertips- especially HOT water!

Kristi said...

This was a great post, but I have to say - when I read the title, I could hear dad singing that old country song. Do you know which one I am talking about? Anyway, great post. Sometimes I forget how lucky we are to be able to just turn on the tap and partake! :)

Kimberly said...

Keep a movin' Dan, don't ya listen to 'im Dan, he's a devil not a man, and he spreads the burning sands with water . . . You know I know that cowboy song, Kristi! Marty Robbins is the best, and I tried for quite a while to figure out how I could work that song into this post. Now it's here!