skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Madam Librarian
I love to read. And I am cheap. And I have very few bookshelves in my home. The perfect solution? My local library. They buy the books, let me read them, and store them for me. This is a very good arrangement. And because my local library is only minutes away, you can often find me there. Like 2-3 times a week on average! Yes, that means that I am often there more than three times a week. Many of the librarians know me and mchildren by name. One of my favorite librarians is in the children's department. Her name is Miss Carol. She knows much about my family, both immediate and extended, because she often inquires about them. She knows that I am from Utah and often asks me about it's geography, the people there, etc. (She had a son spend a while at the U of U doing a pharmacology residency, and he absolutely loved it - so naturally, she wants to visit there.) We discuss each other's plans for the holidays and other vacations. She asks me how my girls are doing, and often comments on how grown up they are now. The boys are always eager to show her what they will be checking out, or to tell her all kinds of interesting tidbits about the life of a preschooler or first grader and she is happy to listen. I don't think she has any grandchildren of her own, and I think she really enjoys my boys' enthusiasm and willingness to share with her. So not only do I enjoy the books at the library, I also enjoy many of the employees. I really feel right at home there. A couple of years ago Darin took me out to dinner for my birthday and then asked me what else I would like to do that night. All I wanted to do was go to the library - without the kids - so I could browse books without any interruptions. I know, that sounds crazy and very nerdy, and maybe it is, but it was a completely enjoyable evening for me. I've since spent many evenings or weekday mornings (when the kids are all at school) just hanging out in the library. (I've never professed to be anything if not a nerd!) You can sit and peruse books at the book store, but they always have some sort of irritating music playing. The library is blissfully quiet.
Ahhh, I'm thankful for my library - for the books, for the people, for the quiet. Join my nerd herd - check out your local library today!
2 comments:
Hear, hear. I second that on libraries! Glad you live so close to one.
I'm the same way! :)
Post a Comment