Thursday, January 19, 2012

J is for Jacob

... and joy!  This little boy of mine (who isn't so little anymore) has brought so much joy into my life and into our family.  One week ago today, he turned six.  Just ask him.  He will tell you.  ("Hey, Jill.  I'm six," stated in a very matter-of-fact voice.  End of conversation.)  I asked him if he is still my baby, and he said, in no uncertain terms, "No, mom.  But I am  your boy."  Whew!  So glad of that.  He'll always be my Jakey-boy.

Six things I love about Jacob:

1.  He gives me a hug every single morning when he first wakes up.  He comes looking for me to give me that hug.  Love it.  Who wouldn't?
2.  He loves to build things - and is quite good at it, too!  He can spend hours constructing the perfect train layout, lego ship, marble run, or other imaginative creation with his wooden blocks.
3. He has passion.  Trains have obviously been his passion since he was my baby, but, stop the presses - he now claims drawing is his favorite thing in the whole wide world.  Guess what he likes to draw?  The two passions have now combined.  :)
4.  He is inquisitive. This summer he heard some snippet about the Titanic somewhere and asked more questions about it.  We now check out books at the library on the Titanic, look at websites about the Titanic, and watch shows about the Titanic.  He recently drew a picture of the stages of the ill-fated ship sinking.  Sad, but impressive.
5.  Jacob still loves a good tickle fight with Darin.  I love to see them two of them wrestling and laughing together.  When Jacob has had enough, he suddenly transforms into a black mamba and is safe from any more tickles, for as we all know, black mambas are not to be messed with. . . unless Darin suddenly transforms into a mongoose . . .
6.  Even on days when Jacob is feeling more like this:

He usually turns around quickly and becomes the happy, fun-loving boy that brings so much joy.  (Plus, don't you think he still looks so darn cute - even when he's mad?)

Happy 6th  Birthday, Jacob! 
 I love you!

6 comments:

Jill said...

We love Jacob, and I'm so glad that he informed me that he is six. It's good information to know.

Laura said...

I love Jakey boy, too. Every time I see a picture of him, I can't help buy smile... there's just something special about him. Happy birthday (belated) to Jake!

Karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marsha said...

I love these kinds of birthday posts. Your kids will treasure knowing these things about themselves when they are older.

Cami said...

I hope he still blows his angry feelings away. He's so great! I love the titanic explorations- I would love to see the drawing.

Karen said...

He really is such a sweet boy!! Happy Birthday to him!

Also, I would never. ever. mess with a black mamba. Never.