Saturday, May 14, 2011

Transplanting

A couple of weeks ago I was planting flowers in my yard.  I came across a rogue Black-eyed Susie that had cropped up in the front of the flower bed rather than in the back of the bed where all the others had been planted a few years ago.  I dug it up and transplanted it back where all it's "family members" lived - at the back of the bed.  It had been a happy little plant at the front of the bed, and once transplanted, it promptly wilted.  This is fairly common behavior for a transplanted plant - it takes a little while to adjust to it's new location. But with continued care I know that Black-eyed Susie will perk up and be full of blooms once late summer or early fall roll around. 

About this time 12 years ago, Darin and I flew into the Philadelphia International Airport and took our first drive up I-476.  Darin had been offered a job in Philadelphia and before accepting, we decided to check out the area.  We both felt such a sense of peace and we knew the Lord wanted us to move across the country and start a new phase in our life.  We planned to live in PA for 2-3 years and then move back to Utah  - closer to family. Leaving family behind in Utah was tough, but the peace and assurance we felt from the Lord helped ease the transition greatly. We gained a whole new family in our ward family, as well as a wealth of experiences that I truly believe we could not have been blessed with anywhere else.

In spite of our 2-3 year plan, my dad gave me some great advice right before we moved:  "Put down roots as if you were going to stay there forever."  Well, Dad, I did just that.  And here we are 12 years later and feeling like we could stay here forever.  I have put down roots deep.  Really deep.  I love living in this little patch of the Earth.  But I'm being uprooted.  And transplanted.  Back to Utah.  Darin and I have prayed about this move and have once again received peace and assurance from the Lord that this is what we are to do.  That truly is a tremendous blessing, but it doesn't mean that being uprooted doesn't hurt.  As grateful as I am to be going back to my family, it hurts to leave my other "family" behind.  It hurts to leave this absolutely beautiful location where so many friendships and memories have been made and lessons have been learned. 

I feel like that Black-eyed Susie.  What is wrong with where I am currently growing?  I quite like it here!  I am happy here!  But the Gardener has another location for me now.  The move hasn't occurred yet, but I fully anticipate wilting a bit once I have been set down in my new surroundings.  I don't say that to be negative - just realistic.  I know that it will be hard for me.  And yet, with the Gardener's continued care, I know that I will bounce back.  And perk up.  And put down my roots.  And bloom once again.

 
Maybe even by late summer or early fall.

11 comments:

The Browns said...

I'm excited for you guys. We're transplanting our family as well pretty soon. Growing pains are hard, but that's how we grow. Maybe we'll be able to see you on one of our trips to Utah sometime. Good luck Kim.

Jill said...

What a great post! This was a perfect way to explain your situation. I know you Kim and I know you will bloom where ever you are planted! No doubt about it. And we are happy to be some of your fellow plants in your new home. PA will surely miss you, but Utah will be happy to see you once again, as will we!!! Love you.

All About Me said...

You are lucky to be moving back to Utah! That was a good way to explain it though!

Laura said...

Kim, don't worry, I'm going to send a bottle of fertilizer to Utah with Sarah and have her dump it all over the place.

I'm so sorry you're sad about moving - I know the feeling well. It's okay to grieve, and I'm glad you're giving yourself room to do that.

If it makes you feel any better, I have heard that they actually *do* have baseball in Utah. ;-)

Love you!

Cami said...

I'm a little nervous about the fertilizer that Laura's going to send with Sarah to dump all over you. Especially if it's the same kind they use in Millville (you know, fresh from the cow).

We'll miss having you as East Coast buddies, but are so glad you're moving to a place that we visit a lot. :)

Karen said...

I'm all about this fertilizer in a bottle situation. ;) I've been thinking about all of you a lot lately actually. I know how much you love Philly and I know you have so many dear friends and wonderful memories. I hurt for you a little. Part of me is sad for selfish reasons...it was a small blurp in my life too. It won't be the same there without you.

That said, I'm so thrilled you'll be in Utah. We don't see you nearly as often as we would like to. You will be happy there too. As Elizabeth Bennet would say...you are too good to not be happy wherever you are. It's innate in your character.

By the way, you're welcome to stop by on your drive cross country!

Marsha said...

This is a beautiful analogy. I can't imagine how hard it would be to leave your friends, family, and a place you've grown to love. Take heart that while you are in Utah, you'll never run out of fertilizer ...wait that doesn't sound good.

Lynette said...

Around here we call fertilizer liquid sunshine. I'm delighted you are making the move. I could see that our trips to K of P were going to be more limited as the years moved on. This is good timing for us.

The Dickeys said...

Whenever I read this I think YEYYYYYY their moving back to Utah. Then I remember were leaving :(

Sarah said...

Hey Kim, we only moved 15 minutes away and I am feeling some of the same things! I am jealous about Utah though as we would LOVE to have some family around.
Good luck with the transition!

Darin Dickey said...

I love this post...thanks Kim!