I have so many fond memories of Conference time with my mom's family. The house was always packed with grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. When Darin and I moved across the country, holidays always brought some homesickness, but Conference time was when I missed home the most. Each Conference, I think back with love on those precious experiences with my dear extended family.
I especially looked forward to my cousin, Jenny coming. She was my best friend ever - even though we lived two hours apart. We always looked forward to getting together and staying up late, talking, and giggling. I still remember some of the silly things we laughed at and I start laughing all over again as I think of them. We would take turns doing each other's hair as we watched Conference, go for a walk (usually with her brother Jeff - another favorite cousin) in between sessions and usually fall asleep towards that final session thanks to our late nights. We had so much fun, and as we got older, I think we were a spiritual strength to each other as well. Jen continues to be a rock in my life although we rarely get to see each other anymore. Every time I go home, I look forward to spending some time with her - even if it is only a couple of hours. She is such an inspiration to me and I count myself truly blessed to have her in my life.
I was so excited when I was twelve and could go to the Women's Conference with my mom and all the other ladies in my family. It was a rite of passage of sorts. I felt so loved and connected to those amazing women that I am blessed to be related to! I continue to love Women's Conference for the absolute spiritual feast it provides me!
A couple of weeks ago I was able to go to the Young Women's Conference with my sweet daughter, Sarah for the first time. We went out to dinner beforehand with some dear friends and then were privileged to listen to the inspired talks of the Young Women leaders and President Monson. I was so moved by the talks and had so many thoughts running through my mind of ways I would like to better apply the principles taught - especially those of letting virtue garnish my thoughts unceasingly. As we drove home, I loved talking to Sarah about her impressions and feelings of the Conference. She is such a sweet, strong girl and I was touched by the depth of her thoughts regarding the talks. She has been a rock for me so many times - a role I know I should be playing as mom rather than her as daughter. I am so grateful for her. She has always been a wonderful daughter and continues to amaze me with her goodness, talents, and zest for life. I love you, Sarah!
11 comments:
I LOVE YOU TO MOM!
Oh, I think I'm going to cry; that's so sweet (especially with Sarah's comment)!
And isn't it funny that all those years you were spending time with Jenny, your future husband was just across the street? I laugh every time I think about that.
I love conference too Kim. My first conferences away from home were with your family and it gave me comfort that I had you guys. I cherish all my memories there. I love and miss you all so much.
What a great post Kim. You're such a good person. I truly admire you and love you. You too Sarah!
Conference was fabulous!
I can't believe you have a 12 year old daughter. She's beautiful like her mom. Wow.
Kristen
Surprisingly, conference weekend was the hardest for me, too. I did fine during Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, but last weekend I felt so homesick and am even bawling as I write this. Conference is a very special time for me - for the obvious spiritual reasons, but it means so much more to me, too. I can't wait for one day when we are all together again to attend Women's Conference and stay up late chatting. Miss you!
I also am amazed that you have a twelve-year-old daughter, even though I know her well, and am aware that she is probably taller than me. She's pretty much my favorite twelve-year-old on the planet (past and present). Then again, I was also a very pleasant, well-grounded twelve year old (ahem... don't look at our family picture from that era).
What a great Post!! We love you guys and thanks for the glitter card. Zack has carried it around trying to pull off the Bunnies.
Great thoughts, Kim. I too have wonderful memories of conference with family.
And I also loved listening with my daughter to the Young Women's broadcast. I continue to be so grateful for the gospel in my life. The direction it gave me as a young girl continues to guide me as a mother. Listening to the YW's conference reminded me of my individual worth and my divine nature-- I love the young women's program! I think we need more of those reminders in RS... maybe we need to recite an old lady theme each week at church! Love you Kim... you inspire me, the same way you were talking about your cousin. I'm so glad I know you!
I really loved your conference post. I have listened to enough to appreciate their value. I am also totally impressed that the talks get better and more meaningful as years go on. It's nice to know we have lots of kindred spirits out there.
I think I have come to appreciate conference the older I have gotten. Not that it wasn't great when I was younger but it just means so much more to me now. It is a ray of sunshine in my life. I really wish I had a daughter of my own to share conference with but that wasn't in the cards. But I know what you mean about kids teaching you so much. Sometimes I am amazed at things my kids say concerning the gospel. They just seem more in tune then I ever did at their age. I hope they always stay that way. I agree with everyone else. I miss not having you around to chat with every once and a while.
Post a Comment