
Sunday afternoon I had the privlege of attending a concert in which my talented husband was performing. As he walked past the Church of the Redeemer one evening a couple of months ago, Darin heard beautiful music echoing from it's chapel. Quickly recognizing the music as his favorite piece, Brahm's Requiem, he stuck his head in. He found a small choir practicing inside. Once home, he immediately looked up the church, emailed their music director, and asked if he might join their choir practices. The music director said they would be happy to have him join them. He has been practicing for 2-4 hours a week with them for the past few weeks and Sunday they performed.

Now, Brahms has never been my favorite composer - I think his music is a bit melancholy - ("longing" is the word Darin prefers to use), but the Requiem (though at times a little foreboding) was truly beautiful. The choir performed in a beautiful, old stone church building with great acoustics and their voices blended beautifully. There were two soloists that were outstanding and the two pianists (it is a duet) were excellent. It was truly a first rate performance. Darin looked very handsome and happy as he sang his heart out. I was proud of him. I hope he has more opportunities like this, so I can benefit as a listener!
7 comments:
I really wanted to fly out and hear this. I am so impressed that you two would get involved (yes, two). I love old churches (I don't care what kind). I have to admit that I don't think I have heard Braham's Requium, though Lance insists that I really have. I am going to have to download it and learn it. Good job, Darin! We love you and your wife and your vocal cords!
Darin, you're my hero! You're so darn cultured! I really wish I could have been there to listen with Kim, better yet, I wish I could have joined the choir. Way to just find a choir and go for it. Keep it up!
How cool is that...he just sticks his head in and then finds a way to join. I wish I could have been there to hear it. I'm sure it was amazing. I miss those beautiful stone buildings!
Whoa - way to go, Darin! It sounds like this choir was almost as good as the Millville third ward's choir.
AHHHH! My favorite requiem (besides Mozart's) and my favorite oldest brother came together, and I missed it! Congrats to Darin, that's seriously awesome.
Sounds amazing...though to Laura, I don't think it could have possibly measured up to the Millville 3rd ward choir...although I'm sure it was nice. I read your whole blog. What a great family. And a good lookin' chair and dresser to boot.
Love to all,
the King
Very impressed....very, very impressed...
Post a Comment